Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Signal

Unbelievable. My Dad woke me up in the middle of the night, forcing my frail and tired body to pick myself together. 

I wondered what the hell was going on, since it's the weekend and we didn't even make any plans. My thoughts dispersed until Dad asked me to focus on the television, and what the News was saying. 

I couldn't believe what I'm seeing and hearing from the screen. I thought, for a second, if I was just dreaming. I'm wide awake, my Dad assured me of that.

"We are not alone."

The life shattering statement from the Space Organization formally concluded the on-going debate if we were the only living thing in the universe.

A signal was intercepted by our long-range satellite from a distant planet several light years away from us. The intelligent life forms apparently understood music, math, religion, technology and art, as we decoded each digital encryption sent to us.

We were never alone in the first place. The mere thought sent shivers up my spine.

Riots were occuring all throughout the world. Our spiritual institutions were undersiege. What we believed in no longer mattered.

I stood motionless, grasping for air, trying to gather the remaining sanity there was to hold on to.

We were all living a lie.

And it's all because of a signal from a faraway planet called Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!