Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Commuter

Regrets. Trust me, my head is full of it right now.

I shouldn't have taken the bus. I should have brought my car to work. I shouldn't be staring at this killer's devilish eyes, looking back at me, showing no hesitation to take the remaining life out of me, the same thing he did with the other passengers.

I saved a kid from being shot earlier, but my act of heroism made my back numb, as blood gushed all over the floor and it made a big mess. I was hit, and my spine got in the way - and I couldn't move.

I lay on my back in the middle of the hostaged bus as he walked towards me, like a lion stalking its prey as I stared, frozen in disbelief, of what have I gotten myself into.

His footsteps were at the same rhythm as my heart's heavy beating... My lungs seemed to not care if I no longer gasped for air.

I shouldn't be in here. I should have been driving in my car. I closed my eyes, still blaming myself for the wrong choices I've made.

As my sight grew dark, I remembered my Mom teaching me what to do everytime I'm scared. She taught me to close my eyes hard, count to three and when I open my eyes again, everything would be fine.

As the darkness enveloped my blurred vision, I felt his calloused hands dragging me away. I was motionless, distraught, numb and still regretting.

Why...?

One...

I felt being strangled. I wanted to fight back, but it's as if I've lost all strength. I've lost it...

Two...

Three...

I felt a weight has been lifted off of me as I breathed in air as if I finished a very deep free-diving stunt ever made.

Then, I tried to open my eyes as I got blinded by the light in front of me. I wanted to scream, I wanted this nightmare to stop but for some reason, all I did was cry.

I cried and I cried and I cried until I heard voices.

I barely understood what they were talking about, but from the tone of their voices, I felt that they were indeed very happy.

"It's a baby boy..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!