Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Prisoner

As I looked beyond the window of my four-cornered prison cell, my thoughts wandered off as to what I will do the moment I get to escape from this torment. I smiled as I came upon a hilarious idea that I will be merrily rolling over the grass fields of the prairie.

I closed my eyes – just thinking of the funny idea which crossed my mind. Will it ever happen? I bet not.

My master came, calling my name over and over – and I hated it – I’m not deaf. I can hear him loud and clear. One time, I tried to ignore him. I thought I won, but he made me drink the worst water I ever tasted as part of his punishment. I never tried to ignore him again.

I stood up as he looked at me and told me he wanted to walk. He can always walk on his own, but it somehow made me feel degraded, as I feel I've been always paraded as his slave.

I couldn’t do anything else but to walk with him. Everytime I tried to stray away from his usual path, he would call me out, making sure my attention was to ensure his safety. And that I should always understand what he wanted me to do. With my head down and my spirits low, I remembered my dream - to be free, to run with the wind, to be happy...



We took a different route this time. The soil is muddy and you can smell trash everywhere. This was something new, something I've never realized it existed.

As we continued our walk, I saw a homeless guy scavenging for food in a nearby trashcan. I called him, wanted to ask what he was doing, but my master asked me to ignore and carry on. Seeing someone who was as thin as a stick and as dirty as trash, it struck me how ungrateful I was with my situation.



He was free, yet he didn't look like he was enjoying it.


I've always wondered what was beyond the four corners of my world. I was already living in paradise...

We soon returned to my prison - or for lack of a better term, my master's home - with a sense of gratitude in mind. The moment he sat down his cushioned throne, he playfully threw a ball, which I happily fetched...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!