Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Lavender Bride

I can smell the relaxing scent of lavender all over the decorated church as visitors and well-wishers anxiously await for the bride's arrival.

I stood firm with my best suit on. I know she wouldn't notice since her attention wouldn't be on what I would be wearing, but of course, it's the fact that she's getting married.

Today.

I have loved her all my life, as we grew up together, with each of our families' patriarch as the reason for our bonds. A bond which started during WWII. And somehow, I would like to thank the war for that - for if my forefathers didn't meet that time, I wouldn't be here where I am today.

I wouldn't be waiting for the bride of my life to walk down the aisle.

It seemed that angels flew past everyone as the crowd grew silent.

The bride has arrived.

She has arrived.

I held my breath as the orchestra started playing Pachelbel's Canon. She walked with grace, as slow and tormenting as it could be.

Each step she made seemed eternal. As she walked nearer, I remembered when we were kids.

I remembered every Christmas, every birthday, every holiday... And every moment... Every single moment of one's true love...

Her gown, shimmering with its purity and extravagance, became worthless as she smiled radiantly behind her veil, leaving every guest's face in awe as her marvelous beauty paraded in front of them.

I love you. My heart uttered, but she's too far to hear my heart's desire.

As she reached me, I smiled. I looked at her and she looked back - wanting. We locked our eyes, as if speaking to each other.

Mesmerized by the bride in front of me, I have forgotten what to do. My lips were zipped and my feet were frozen.

My, my, my... How lucky am I to be with her today...

She secretly took my hand, pressed it, as if telling me everything will be okay.

I nodded as I returned my composure. As I looked at everyone who were all waiting in delight to witness two hearts to become one, to be blessed in front of our Almighty Father, I smiled.

The solemn June wind blew the lavender scent as I inhaled its peaceful and lingering aroma.

But at the back of my mind, I was weeping, as I uttered...

"We are gathered here today..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!