Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Baker

I opened a bakery in a small town six months ago when I started noticing a decent old man walking to and from the park everyday.

He caught my attention since he was walking alone with only his cane to guide him. I was worried he might stumble and fall - a bit irritated to his relatives, if there were any, to let him walk alone.

Everyday.

He seemed to know everyone he met, and it seemed that everyone knew him. People would stop and ask how he was and he would just smile and tell them that he was never better.

I asked one of my customers about him and I've learned that he was a professor and he always visited the park near my shop.

Until one day, he dropped by my shop and bought bread. He smiled at me and I smiled back. The old man formally introduced himself and told me he knew I was new in town and hoped that the townfolks treated me well.

I assured him that I was doing fine and that I was enjoying my time here. He finally bid farewell but I insisted on helping him cross the street. He said he can manage and that his wife was already waiting outside.

I peeked at the window and saw no one, as the old man already left the shop. I followed him as fast as I could, trying to call his attention.

When he saw me coming towards him, he smiled and stopped from walking. I told him that we should wait for his wife at the shop instead.

He looked puzzled until he introduced me to his wife - who wasn't there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!